R. Hell Site Forum Message

what Richard wrote

Posted by:Roy (‘admin@richardhell.com’)
Posted on: 13 Dec 2008

Ungh hungh. You guys should read the piece! It would make it easier for you to talk about it! (Sorry.) (But www.richardhell.com/HotCold.html#Johnny.) Part of what's unusual about it is that it doesn't prettify Johnny. Right from the start it makes that point. Also, it states right in the article -- not in some later interview -- that a difficult thing about writing it was that Hell had the weird feeling that anything he wrote about Johnny also reflected him (Hell), that he identified with Thunders and felt like he himself could be accused of almost any thing he could throw at Thunders, and that made writing it "spooky."

Frankly, I've always noticed how, apparently, most of the people who contribute to the Forum seem largely ignorant about Hell's writing, even though it's been his main identity for twenty years. I think that's part of the problem about how things get quiet here. There's only so much that can be said about a record or two that came out 20-30 years ago, about a band and a performer that don't properly exist any more. But the Forum fans are music fans and they don't seem to overlap with the readers. (With a few exceptions--Hannah!) It kind of surprises me. After all, it is the same personality and relationship to the world present in the writing as the music. And I know people do appreciate the writing -- it's published in the best places, gets intensely good reviews, and people pay for it. But it seems that it's only the music-oriented people who come here and they aren't involved with Richard's writing. I know that much of the writing is more demanding than the music. It takes more effort to read than to listen and music is more popular in general. But still it surprises me since I'd think more people would be into both, and would appreciate the things that Richard does that are present in both his writing and music.

But he will be bringing out a new CD music release in 2009. "New" in some ways, not really new in others. That's the next post I'm going to write. Or Hell will write it.

back to R. Hell Site Forum Board

Message thread:

Something else for Mme's website by geraldine fibber, 10 Dec 2008 (24)
                 If Richard and Roy don't mind by MmeL'Enfer, 10 Dec 2008
                         Nah by geraldine fibber, 10 Dec 2008
                                 Oh really by MmeL'Enfer, 10 Dec 2008
                                         It's out there by geraldine fibber, 11 Dec 2008
                                                 I wouldn't by geraldine fibber, 11 Dec 2008
                                                 Never saw this one before tho: by geraldine fibber, 11 Dec 2008
                                                         Thank you! by MmeL'Enfer, 11 Dec 2008
                 missing lines on Johnny by Richard by Roy, 13 Dec 2008
                         You know by MmeL'Enfer, 13 Dec 2008
                                 Huh? by Roy, 13 Dec 2008
                                         Explanation by MmeL'Enfer, 13 Dec 2008
                                                 what Richard wrote by Roy, 13 Dec 2008
                                                         testy by Hannah, 13 Dec 2008
                                                                 took you for a book? by Roy, 13 Dec 2008
                                                                         chili cheese cornbread by Hannah, 13 Dec 2008
                                                                                 What I Had For Dinner by Slimedog, 14 Dec 2008
                                                                                         Crumbed Whiting/Re: Dinner by MmeL'Enfer, 15 Dec 2008
                                                         Writing vs Music by MmeL'Enfer, 14 Dec 2008
                                                         Also by MmeL'Enfer, 15 Dec 2008
                         thanks! by Hannah, 13 Dec 2008
                                 Yes Hannah ... by MmeL'Enfer, 13 Dec 2008
                                         ghuddam by geraldine fibber, 13 Dec 2008
                                                 Solace by MmeL'Enfer, 14 Dec 2008
                                                         Solange by geraldine fibber, 14 Dec 2008

Merch Links Site Index Lyrics 1st Page Bio Core Updates