R. Hell Site Forum Message

Blond Pony (long winded)

Posted by:Slimedog (‘jvacca@rcn.com’)
Posted on: 21 Feb 2009

I saw Blondie backing up Iggy Pop in 76? My friend and I had seen the Tubes at a theatre in Cambridge, Mass. a month before. We had bought tickets to see Iggy & thought it was the same place in Cambridge (I think it was the Brattle Theatre, that didn't normally have rock shows but probably because of the theatrical nature of the Tubes had agreed to host probably their first visit to the city).

This was back in my drug experimenting days, also, in the days of eight tracks tapes, my friend and I had planned on snorting some coke off an eight track in his Ford Mustang car before the show. We poured out a bit more than we wanted but then said what the hell. So we go stand in line for the Iggy show and notice a lot of folks are in tuxedos and such. The person rips our tickets and we head toward an usher-he looks at our tickets and says, "You guys are in the wrong place, this is for the Cambridge Theatre," or whatever it was called, it was a placed that had hosted the Clash on their first area visit.

So my friend says, "I know where that is," we get the other part of our torn tickets, run a few blocks to the place, my friend holds the tickets up to the guy at the door and when he tries to take them he sees they're ripped in half. My buddy says, "They were in my wallet and they got ripped!" The doorman shrugs his shoulders and says, "well, they're good, go on in." I guess the tickets weren't the only thing that was ripped.

We get to our seats just before Blondie gets on. I do remember their first song was a cover of "Pallasades Park" a sixties hit by Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon who I belive was from Revere, Mass. They were very good and I do believe this was the only time I got to see them live.

Next was Iggy with David Bowie on keyboard and backing vocals and the Hunt brothers on drums and bass, (offspring of American comic Soupy Sales) and I belive Ricky Gardiner on guitar, he had played on Bowie's "Low" and Iggy's "The Idiot" and I've heard retired long ago to be a sheepherder in Scotland I think getting some royalties from a few co-authored songs on those albums.

I think this was shortly after Iggy had released "The Idiot" and Bowie, who had produced the album, was trying to help him in his comeback. What was amazing was this was still during Bowie's glam period and to see him in a blue flannel shirt singing backup was strange indeed. Very good show though, overall.

back to R. Hell Site Forum Board

Message thread:

most underrated bands by antoine, 16 Feb 2009 (72)
                 I am not too good at this... by MmeL'Enfer, 16 Feb 2009
                         Hanoi by Mona D., 16 Feb 2009
                                 michael monroe by antoine, 17 Feb 2009
                                         Olive mice by Slimedog, 17 Feb 2009
                                                 Rat Martini by R*bert Lund, 17 Feb 2009
                                                         live acts by antoine, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                 Does it still count... by MmeL'Enfer, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                         ok by antoine, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                                 Ah bon? by MmeL'Enfer, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                                 Axe the Guesses, Mme! by R*bert Lund, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                                         All Well And Good But... by MmeL'Enfer, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                                                 but but but by geraldine fibber, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                         Oz bands by MmeL'Enfer, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                 Oz stuff by geraldine fibber, 20 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                         Now I feel like an idiot! by MmeL'Enfer, 20 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                 This perfect day by geraldine fibber, 20 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                         best from Oz by antoine, 23 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                 Re: Oz by MmeL'Enfer, 23 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                         Friday on my Mind by rich d, 23 Feb 2009
                                                                                         Live by Julin, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                                                 Live by Mona D., 17 Feb 2009
                                                                                                         Amber Antelopes by Slimedog, 17 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                 joe public speaking by antoine, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                         Wow,cheree je t'adore baby! by antoine, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                 predictable of me by geraldine fibber, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                         A dive by MmeL'Enfer, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                         Silver Emu by Slimedog, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                 I am by MmeL'Enfer, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                         you're supposed by geraldine fibber, 19 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                 Start it by MmeL'Enfer, 19 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                 To Slimedog by Mona D., 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                         Since when, Mona... by MmeL'Enfer, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                 Blondie! by Mona D., 19 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                         Re: Blondie! by MmeL'Enfer, 19 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                         Blond Pony (long winded) by Slimedog, 21 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                 Ivory Snails by MmeL'Enfer, 21 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                         Wow by Mona D., 22 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                         Antoine... by MmeL'Enfer, 18 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                 blondie by antoine, 19 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                         Blondie by MmeL'Enfer, 19 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                 TV/Blondie by antoine, 19 Feb 2009
                                                                                                                                                         Re: TV/Blondie by MmeL'Enfer, 19 Feb 2009
                                         to antoine hanoi rocks by fred, 25 Feb 2009
                                                 frederique by antoine, 26 Feb 2009
                                                         bonjour Antony by fred, 26 Feb 2009
                                                         re smack by fred, 26 Feb 2009
                                                                 FREDY LYNXX by antoine, 27 Feb 2009
                                                                         Est-ce qu'il y a... by MmeL'Enfer, 4 Mar 2009
                                                                                 OUI by antoine, 5 Mar 2009
                                                                                         Ah j'vois by MmeL'Enfer, 5 Mar 2009

Merch Links Site Index Lyrics 1st Page Bio Core Updates