R. Hell Site Forum Message

february 14 reading

Posted by:carolyn (‘printergrl@hotmail.com’)
Posted on: 21 Feb 2001

Well, hello out there. Perhaps some of you went to Richard's reading at St. Mark's in NYC last Wednesday, February 14th. I was very impressed with Mr. Hell. Go to see him read if you get the opportunity.

Richard mostly read from various poems and snippets of writing, and then read a bit from the novel he is working on.

As I've mentioned to certain people, I often tend to tune out during readings despite my best efforts - frequently the reader just can't make the words move me. Poetry, for me, is often more meaningful when I read it on a page.

However, this reading was the first in awhile that really seemed alive to me. Somehow Hell's got a presence and presentation that hold your attention. What it is I really couldn't tell you though. I really don't know how he managed to pull off dropping his papers onto the floor after each page without it seeming affected. I was captivated from start to finish and really didn't want Hell to stop reading.

Usually I end up squirming in my seat like a kid.

What makes Hell's writing so special is its ability to seduce, shock, and amuse simultaneously.

It left me feeling a bit chokey and a bit out of breath afterwards as I walked out the door and over to the subway.

back to R. Hell Site Forum Board

Message thread:

february 14 reading by carolyn, 21 Feb 2001 (0)

Merch Links Site Index Lyrics 1st Page Bio Core Updates