R. Hell Site Forum Message

small review

Posted by:rich d
Posted on: 8 Sep 2008

The X-Ray Spex gig was great. Poly exuded great charm and did well not to play up to the hackneyed 'angry punk' persona (which i don't think was ever her bag)that John Lydon still hawks around.

She was clearly enjoying herself and it wore off on the crowd. She was quite plump, possibly plumper than i can imagine anyone getting on lentils but she was captivating and (at the risk of sounding marginally creepy) had a great deal of sex appeal!

Almost everything off the first Lp was played and still sounded fresh and exciting. They opened to 'Oh Bondage Up yours' and the crowd of balding, sweaty 50 year olds were off at a pace.

They encored with 'Dayglo' and 'Oh Bondage..' again but that's fine. Great venue too - i think it was a disused locomotion shed for spinning trains around.

For a while i was back in my bedroom in the rather sleepy Welsh borders in 1979 clutching the 7" of Germfree Adolescents which my Mum's mate had lent me to play to death on the Dansette. This daydream passed quickly when i was hit in the face by an errant shoe which knocked my glasses off, where they were crushed and snapped by a massive half naked skinhead. I had to watch the rest of the gig through one lens held up on the arm of my glasses like the scarlet fucking pimpernell.

Never mind.

back to R. Hell Site Forum Board

Message thread:

Devoto's Magazine reform by rich d, 31 Aug 2008 (12)
                 spelling? by rich d, 31 Aug 2008
                         I put a spellcheck on you... by AKinCLE, 31 Aug 2008
                                 oh blimey by geraldine fibber, 2 Sep 2008
                                         scars by rich d, 3 Sep 2008
                                 or.... by geraldine fibber, 2 Sep 2008
                                         Or... by AKinCLE, 3 Sep 2008
                                                 X -Ray Glasses by slimedog, 6 Sep 2008
                                                         X Ray Spex: You don't knead them . . . by The RealMcCoy, 6 Sep 2008
                                                                 small review by rich d, 8 Sep 2008
                 Magazine by Viva Inc, 19 Sep 2008
                         Magazine Reform - More Gigs added! by Viva Inc, 2 Oct 2008
                         Magazine Peel Sessions by Viva Inc, 28 Oct 2008

Merch Links Site Index Lyrics 1st Page Bio Core Updates